A workshop at ICPE 2018 in Berlin, Germany.
April 9th, 2018
Contact: Catalina M. Lladó, firstname.lastname@example.org
New challenges to assuring software performance arise as new software development methods emerge. In addition to using middleware and database platforms, new applications may be implemented using environments such as Software as a Service (SaaS) and Service-Oriented Architectures, which are also the key for cloud computing performance modelling. The performance characteristics of these services will inevitably influence the performance and scalability of the applications that use them. The use of DevOps means that new components will be introduced to existing systems while they are running. The new components must allow the performance existing components to continue to be met.
In this fourth edition of WOSP-C, we will explore the performance implications of this evolution in architecture and development and their impact on the inclusion and development of performance. We seek to do this by including research and experience papers, vision papers describing new initiatives and ideas, and discussion sessions. Papers describing new projects and approaches are particularly welcome. As implied by the title, the workshop focus is on methods usable anywhere across the life cycle, from requirements to design, testing and evolution of the product. The discussions will attempt to map the future of the field. They may occur in breakout sessions related to topics chosen by the participants. The discussions will be moderated and summaries posted on line for future reference. This is in keeping with the spirit of the first Workshop on Software and Performance, WOSP98, which successfully identified the issues that were current at the time. The acronym WOSP-C reflects this. There will be sessions which combine papers on research/experience/vision with substantial discussion on issues raised by the papers or the attendees. At least a third of the time will be devoted to discussion on identifying the key problems and the most fruitful lines of future research.
The workshop proceedings will be published by ACM as part of the ICPE 2018 proceedings in the ACM digital library.
- New ideas, most of all…
- Model-driven engineering concepts for all kinds of applications, from embedded to SOA and SaaS.
- The business case for performance methods, both in startups and in larger organizations.
- Performance methods for tighter integration of development and operation (DevOps)
- Easing the effort of applying performance methods
- Adding performance issues to software development tools
- Performance challenges in cloud computing
- Performance issues in architecture and component engineering
- Challenges posed by rapid development methods
- Maximizing the value (for design improvement) of performance measurements and tests
- Methods for deriving and exploiting performance models of applications
- The relationship between performance testing, performance models, and performance requirements, including, but not limited to, how they relate to DevOps.
- Collection of representative performance and workload data in distributed and cloud environments
- Performance engineering for dynamic architectures
- Performance issues with microservice architectures